- When will the Discover E program be held?
Visits start in February and continue until most or all teachers have been matched. Most visits occur in March.
- Which teachers should take advantage of this program?
The Discover E program is suitable for all K thru 12th grade teachers. It is of limited value to special education classes and these classes are difficult to match.
- How can I contact an engineer to speak to my students?
Use the Discover E Classroom Sign-up Form. When a match is made you will receive an email directly from the volunteer. At this point schedule the visit. See question 6 to help you prepare for the visit. Questions? Email Marie Ciano at email@example.com
- What format will the engineers presentation follow?
The general format (although the teacher and engineer may negotiate a format which meets the teachers specific needs or class objectives) is as follows:
- Introduction of engineer by teacher
- Discussion by the engineer about different types of engineering, what engineers do, personal engineering background, etc.
- Optional activities related to engineering, such as hands-on demonstrations, informational video tapes, etc.
- Question-and-answer period
- Engineer hands out brochures, bookmarks, posters, etc.
- What Discover E materials are available to give to the students?
- Engineering and You A brochure which provides information for students on how to become an engineer
- Bookmarks: Students can mark their books with these colorful and fun mementos of the Discover E program.
- What should I discuss with the engineer in preparation for the visit?
- Date and time of engineers presentation
- Location of the school and classroom, and instructions for finding them
- Grade level and number of students
- Format and content of presentation most applicable to your class and your objectives. What will the class find most interesting?
- Specific topics you would like the engineer to discuss to fit into your lesson plan
- Whether a hands-on project or a video would be desirable
- Materials and equipment requirements (copies of handouts, overhead projector, video monitor, etc.)
- How you will prepare the students for the visit
- Will parents be invited to attend?
- Materials you would like to be left for the students (brochures, bookmarks, etc.)
- What ideas do you have for Discover E activities beyond the classroom?
- Teacher Workshops Engineers sponsor workshops that give teachers ideas for bringing engineering and technology into the classroom.
- Facilities and Laboratory Tours Engineers conduct special behind-the-scenes tours for student guests.
- Utilize RAFT (Resource Area for Teachers) They have wonderful hands on science and math kits. http://www.raft.net
- Another great resource is http://www.kqed.org/quest/education
- Is the Discover E program endorsed by any nationally recognized organizations?
Yes. National Engineers Week enjoys continuing endorsement from a large number of organizations. See the National Engineers Week website for a list of sponsors.